Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Sweet Shoppe "Part II"


Okay here is part II of the how to's with your DIY baby gifts! This is a run down of how to make the Baby Lollipops out of baby washcloths! 




Here is a list of what you will need to get started. There are two options on how to make this so you may not need everything listed, just depending on which option you decide to use to make your lollies...

2 4packs of baby washcloths
clear tape
hot glue gun and glue sticks
Lollipop sticks (I actually prefer the cookie sticks, they are bigger)
scissors
ribbon
cellophane bags or shrink wrap
floral wire
4 rubberbands or twist ties
metal bucket 
styrofoam
paper "grass"




To get started you will fold one washcloth in half and then fold in half again (you can really use any baby item to make your lollipops, blankets, onsies, socks, etc). Repeat on another washcloth and stack the two on top of each other. Then just begin to roll both washcloths together.




Once you finish, secure your washcloths together with a few pieces of clear tape.







Here is where I mentioned you would have two options. These are going to be for securing your lollipop stick to your "candy". 

Option 1...

You will need to cut around a 14inch strip of floral wire and then fold it into even halves. Next stick the floral wire into the center of your washcloth, making sure it cannot be seen from the front. After that bend your floral wire to where it is curved around your washcloth roll to end up at the center (where your tape is) then bend the wire again so it is sticking straight out.




Next take the floral wire that was left sticking straight out and wrap around one of your lollipop sticks. Try to center your stick to be in the middle of your washcloth "candy". Then apply a dab of hot glue onto the tape you placed on the washcloth, and place your stick in the glue. Hold it in place for a few minutes so that the hot glue can set up and its done. I saw the wire technique on another tutorial and I think it is supposed to give a little more stability. I made four washcloths and I did two this way and two in the option 2 way and I could not tell a difference. I suggest trying both ways and see what you like better.





And here is Option 2...

This option is much simpler than the first. Once you have your washcloths rolled and taped, place a dab of hot glue in the center of your roll (on the tape, it does not hurt your washcloths, even if it gets on the washcloths) and place your lollipop stick in the hot glue, making sure you get it centered. Hold it in place for a few minutes to make sure that the hot glue sets well with the lollipop stick in place and your done. I have not been able to tell a difference in the two different options finished products. They both hold up very well.




Next I just take a cellophane bag and cut the closed end off and then cut down the side to make one full sheet (this would also work really well with shrink wrap, but I just used what I had on hand).





Place the middle of your sheet of cellophane over the top of your lollipop and secure it around the "neck" of your lollie with a rubber band or twist tie. Trim off your excess "wrapper" to look however you like.




Take a pretty ribbon and tie a bow around your twist tie (rubber band) and you are finished!




Repeat the process as many times as need. Everything that I have listed makes four lollipops.






When I did this as a gift I put the lollipops in a bakery box with my Baby Cupcakes (The Sweet Shoppe "Part I"). But you can do pretty much any type of display you want for your Lollipops. Below I put them in cute metal bucket I found at Hobby Lobby. I just put a small piece of styrofoam in the bottom and covered it with paper grass, then arranged my Lollies.




I really hope you give this a try at your next baby shower. It is such a fun and cute idea!! ENJOY!








Linking up to...





No comments:

Post a Comment