Thursday, January 26, 2012

Etched Glass



I LOVE the look of etched glass and I had no idea how easy it was to do!! This is a new favorite project for me, especially when it comes to gift giving!! You have to try this! I wanted to test it out on something simple first (in case I messed it up big time, it wouldn't be a huge upset). I just grabbed a wine glass from the cabinet and away I went ( I also thought this would be  a great idea to remind my husband which wine glass is mine, and not to be drank from :-) ). Here is what you will need to get started:

Something glass (anything you like)
Adhesive backed vinyl
Transfer Paper (cling wrap, contact paper)
Glass Etch and something to apply it
Something to cut your vinyl, either a Cricut (or like machine) or just an exacto knife (if your good at free hand, which I am not)




I used my Cricut to cut out the letter that I wanted (normally I probably would have done a J for our last name, but I already had an A done and my name is Alison, so it worked). If you can't tell I am all about using what you have on hand, aka cost efficient!! After cutting out what I wanted I trimmed around my letter to remove the excess vinyl, then applied a sheet of transfer paper over the letter. Make sure you rub the transfer paper firmly over your vinyl to get a good stick.





Now just remove the backing from your vinyl and place wherever you like on your glass object. Once you have it where you want it, then press the vinyl to the glass, taking care to rub out any air bubbles around your letter. There WILL be air bubbles in your vinyl but you need to make sure its not around the areas you will be applying your glass etch. You can see in the photo below that there are creases and bubbles in the black vinyl but not close enough to my A that the glass etch could go into it and distort my letter.




Up next is actually applying the etching cream. This needs to be handled with extreme care!! It would probably be a great idea to use disposable gloves when applying your cream. By the way my etching cream is called Armor Etch and I just bought it at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon ( I LOVE that store). Use anything you like to apply the cream to the glass, but my favorite is just a plastic disposable knife. Make sure to apply it all over your cut out shape but do not get it on the glass anywhere else!




I left my etching cream on for around 20-30 min then washed it off with warm water. Then peel off your vinyl and wash your glass! Presto its finished!! I love my personalized wine glass and now I cannot wait to find something cute to do on my glass mixing bowls! This would be great with holiday designs for different  gifts or just to put your name on all those casserole dishes (that way yours always comes home with you)!! Let me know how it works for you! Enjoy!!







Above is my finished product! Now to put her to good use!!


Linking up to:






21 comments:

  1. Yep! Do not be surprised if everyone starts getting something etched from me as a gift! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I BETTER get an etched wine glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing you would need to hand wash it? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After the etching process is done then you can use it in the dishwasher over and over again and it still looks the same! As long as the object you are etching is dishwasher safe your good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm awesome! Any way I'm here because I'm looking for the blogs about etched glass and this page caught me coz this is the perfect site I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Let me know if you have any questions. It's really easy!

      Delete