Thursday, February 9, 2012

Babies! Babies! Babies!




As a mom of two (1yr and 2yr old boys, whew just saying that makes me tired), I am always looking to save a buck. Especially since both of my boys are still in diapers! Recently I found a recipe and tutorial for DIY baby wipes and thought I would give it a try. So far, So Fabulous!! They are easy and cheap! 
Here is what you will need:

Container (must be able to seal it to make it air tight)
Select a Size Paper Towels
Baby Wash
Baby Oil
H20 
Sharp Knife (non serrated)




Okay ladies (and gentlemen) grab a knife and vent your frustrations! You need a SHARP non serrated knife to cut your roll of paper towels in half. As you may notice below my knife was not as sharp as it should have been, note the uneven edges on the bottom of my towels, but hey they still clean a tushy!




Next up add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of baby wash, 1 Tablespoon of baby oil, (I like the one with Aloe) and 2 cups of water to your container and stir. My container came from Walmart ($2) and its a 2 quart size. At first glance I thought it was going to be to small but I was able to do a little pushing and it worked great. 





Now that you have your cleaning solution mixed, add your paper towels.




Go ahead and seal your container and flip it upside down. Keep it this way until the solution has saturated your paper towels throughly. Then flip it right side up.






Go ahead and pull out that cardboard center. 




Amazingly your paper towels are now wipes, and ready to clean some messes!!




These wipes have been fabulous so far and from what I can tell they will be much much cheaper! Here is what I found (following based on online prices): We used Target Brand (Up and Up) wipe refills (we keep our hard box containers and just refilled those). For a 9 pack refill of Up and Up brand wipes they are around $14, this comes out to be around $1.55 per wipe refill. With the homemade baby wipes I use the Walmart brand (Great Value) paper towels. These are roughly $7 for an 8 pack of paper towels. Those 8 paper towels will make you 16 wipe refills. So the price for the homemade wipes comes out to around $0.44 per refill (this does not include the cost of baby wash or oil which will be around 4-5 dollars for both, but will be used for several refills)!! 





Also I wanted to mention that I did find another recipe for baby wipes that sounded great. I calls for 1 tablespoon each of baby wash, lotion, and oil with 2 cups of water. I may give this a try with my next batch just because I am interested to see what the lotion will do. And another side note I read several comments where some people had problems with their wipes growing mold (ewww), so far I have not had any problems, but just in case I saw that a few moms suggested using witch hazel (1/2 teaspoon per refill), or tea tree oil (1/2 teaspoon per refill), or you can simply use distilled water and that stopped any bacterial growth. Hope this works for you and let me know how it goes!




Linking up too:



No comments:

Post a Comment